Friday, August 19, 2016

"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Walt Disney

When I was 13 years old, I started learning French. I was living in Scotland at the time, and everyone in my class had already been taking French since primary school. So I was a little behind to say the least. I don't know when my love of French began, but I can honestly say that from that moment on, I dreamed of someday going to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower.  Being able to finally climb it - even if I did it in an elevator - was one of the greatest moments of my life. It was everything I'd ever dreamed of. It was magical.







Just before we got on the elevator to go to the top! I was literally scared for my life, but it's fine.

The way they have translated this sign kind of implies that they know there really will be pickpockets on the Eiffel Tower. So beware of them - beware of THE pickpockets.


This is what the ground looks like from the second floor of the Eiffel Tower. What you don't see is the racing heart inside my chest for being so high off the ground. If anyone knows me, I'm petrified of heights, but there was no way I was going to let a fear of heights get in the way of living my dream!




Up at the top, the view was spectacular. And what's more, I had tried many times to connect to the Wi-Fi, but hadn't gotten it to work. I desperately wanted to call my family and show them the view and how I had finally accomplished my dream. So I tried one last time, and for three marvelous minutes IT WORKED!!!!!!!


I was even talking to them while the Eiffel Tower started to sparkle. It does that every night, the last five minutes of the hour. What a wonderful little miracle it was!

My grandpa Murdoch has always taught me to never be discouraged, and I feel that sometimes we surely can be discouraged when we realize that our dreams and hopes and desires are so far out of our reach. But that night when I climbed the Eiffel Tower, I felt the most overwhelming feeling of happiness.

I had made it.

I had fulfilled my dream. I reached the top.

I was actually there, standing on the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France. That night, the Eiffel Tower became so much more than a monument that makes my knees shake. That night, the Eiffel Tower became a symbol of hope, whether it be overcoming obstacles or fulfilling my dreams. It took me many years to finally get to France, but the fact is that I made it. I overcame so many obstacles to finally get there. It truly was a dream come true. Pursue your hopes and dreams and wishes. They are real. Well, they can be real if you are determined and don't let discouragement wear you down. It's possible, I promise.

And now, it's time to go find a new dream. :)


2 comments:

  1. Alissa, I hope I am as brave as you are! Also, you are a very good writer :) I love reading your blog because I know it is going to make me smile! Did you ever see THE pickpocket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you, Anonymous ! I never got pick pocketed, thank goodness!

      Delete