Friday, July 15, 2016

Weekend of Royalty

Food. Food. Food. Food. Food. Food. Food. It's what brings us together. And that, my friends, is exactly what the French people think, too. I have noticed that it is such an important part of their culture that they will often set up their schedules around their meals. 

That might have been a bit of a generalization, but from my point of view, and especially from what I've seen at my internship office, that is exactly what they do. And can you guess the most important meal? 

Lunch :)

I've noticed that in the mornings and evenings, the metros are packed with just as many people who are commuting to and from work as they are during lunch time. The streets are lined with Bistros and cafés and patisseries, not to mention the many many restaurants. Something I’ve learned about going to eat at restaurants is that when you walk in, you greet the waiter or waitress, who is usually standing either outside or amongst the tables. Sometimes, you walk in and sit down first. They are really talented at keeping an eye out for new customers. You tell them how many people are in your group and they find you a table. In France, you don’t leave a tip for your waiter – the food is expensive enough I guess :) Miranda and I went out early one morning so we could get first pick of the delicious pastries. It was definitely worth it. I got a croissant with cheese and ham for breakfast. SO good! 






Then on Saturday afternoon I went to Versailles with Sarah Laurent. Here are some pictures from inside the castle.

I can't believe I actually got to be standing next to a painting I've only ever seen in my textbooks. This is Marie Antoinette with two of her children.

This is the King's private chapel. Pretty sure the gold is real!

This is on one of the ceilings. Isn't it incredible to think that someone painted this probably while lying on his back? 


I don't think there has ever been a moment in my life where I have wished more to be dancing in a beautiful dress with a handsome gentleman, waltzing the night away than this moment. The glass in this room is still the original! Every detail is so exquisite.
I must say though that I definitely prefer le Domaine de Marie Antoinette over the castle itself. She preferred to live in her own little castle, still on the grounds of the Château de Versailles, but just far away from the royal court and the public. I appreciate all that Marie Antoinette went through as a young ruler. Sarah explained to me how she pictures this part of the grounds as being her sanctuary, and I definitely agree. Her little castle only really has one room – her bedroom :)












And now, what’s really magnificent, is that there is an LDS Temple being built five minutes from where she stayed. It was beautiful! Even though it isn’t finished yet, I felt such peace as I stood outside the fence. The temple has the power to do that. The workers aren’t allowed to smoke or drink or swear as they work on the grounds, and I think that’s what makes it feel like such a special place because it’s so different from the busy city that sits around it.






 I really appreciate this quote from Le Petit Prince. "C’est le temps que tu as perdu pour ta rose qui fait ta rose si importante." Basically, what it means is that the time that the little Prince spent taking care of his rose is what made her so important. Indeed, as we spend time with the people that matter most, we grow to love them. In a special way for me, it explains how much I am growing to love the people here in France. (And also the food :) ) Happy Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment