Saturday, July 2, 2016

Paris!!! Day One.

(This entry is really from Friday July 1st, but I didn't have Wi-Fi so I couldn't post it till the 2 July)

As I arrived at the Edinburgh airport and said goodbye to Mandy, it suddenly dawned on me what I was about to do. Here I was, a 22 year old girl from America about to fly on an airplane by herself to France. Not a big deal, right? Well, just to make the scenario more interesting, I realized I wouldn’t have access to Wi-Fi, my cell phone would be useless, no one would be greeting me at the airport, and I have a fear of pickpocketers (but then again, who doesn’t fear those guys?).
Oddly enough, the only words that went through my head as the plane left the ground were, “I do speak French, I do speak French, I do speak French. . .” I guess that was my logical side trying to comfort me.
Thanks for everything, Mandy and Michael!



As the plane touched French soil, I silently kicked myself for not having brushed up on my airport vocabulary. There is, however, always a way to explain the word you’re looking for, so we’ll just say I played that game for a while as I verified with several people that I was headed in the right direction.



I turned my paper euros into coin euros (because apparently you have to do that when you buy a train ticket at the airport), bought a train ticket to Paris, and proceeded down the escalator onto the train. It was about a 45 minute ride to my stop, so I talked to a woman on the train who was kind enough to compliment me on my French. Let’s just say I’m learning to have confidence when I talk to native Frenchies.

I had to change from the train to the metro in order to get to my apartment. I got off the train at my stop, and looked for Metro 6. But I couldn’t believe my eyes when I rounded a corner and saw the stairs in front of me. In order to transfer from train to metro, I had to go down and up four flights of stairs. So I said a quick prayer in my heart, picked up my 50 lb. suitcase with my super non-muscular arms, and headed down two flights of stairs, and then across the platform, and up two more flights. I said a prayer of gratitude when I finally made it to the other side because I really have no idea how I managed to make it. A creepy man started following me and yelling at me, so I said another prayer and just walked a little faster. No idea what he was saying, but I didn’t stop to ask. I also made a new year’s resolution that I’m starting right now: pushups every morning from now on. For more reasons than one ;)

One of the biggest miracles of the day is that the train and the metro were both there at the exact times I needed them to be. I didn’t miss either one, which was great because I didn't want to stand around and wait with my luggage. (It’s probably just as well that the creepy man scared me because otherwise I wouldn’t have sped walked like I had to the metro.)

But when I came out of the metro (down two more flights of stairs, mind you), I once again had no idea where I was. I tried to locate street signs, but couldn’t, so I started walking and asked for directions. It’s hard not to look strange with a suitcase and a backpack, but I just embraced the awkwardness and moved on. It wasn’t too long of a walk to my new apartments, and it would have been a lot longer if Heavenly Father hadn’t placed someone in my path who could help me. I've noticed that people here are so willing to help me, and they really know their way around! A woman in the street helped me look for my apartment complex, which was out of the way and in a little inconspicuous corner. Without her I would have taken much longer! She was a blessing placed right in my path. Thankfully, as I walked up the stairs to the complex, there was a girl opening the door with her key, so I just followed her in. That was another miracle because since I didn't have access to a phone, I wouldn't have been able to call my internship coordinator and tell him to come down and let me in. Just inside the building was a kind security guard who let me use his portable (cell phone) to call Jésus, my internship coordinator. Jésus came down and got me all settled into my room.





I have a tiny fridge, a little closet, a small cupboard, a petite toilette, sink, and shower. Everything is downsized. They provided me with a cushion for a pillow, a fitted sheet, a small saucepan and frying pan, one plate, one spoon, one fork, and one knife. Lucky me! I'm on the 9th floor, and can see the Eiffel Tower (which lights up at night) from my window! 

If you look at the tall white building just to the right of the center of the photo, you'll see the Eiffel Tower when it's lit up. It's just to the left of the building.
I got to my apartment around 6:15, and went out shopping for dinner around 7pm. Everything is so expensive, I couldn’t believe it! But I loved shopping for my food because I felt grown up and happy to be on an adventure. It was exciting to see everything in French, and to be able to talk with the man at the cash register in French. I love it so much.

After all is said and done though, what I really miss is my family. It’s weird to be 100% on my own. I’m writing this right now on a Word Document because I don’t have Wi-Fi, and I’m not sure when I will. But that’s alright. I have prayer, and scriptures, and faith. And that is enough. Even though no one else in this world knows exactly where I am, I know my Heavenly Father does. He is aware of me and has comforted me so much on this journey. Here I am, in Paris! He has blessed me to fulfill one of my greatest dreams, though I never expected to be living my dream for 7 weeks. Here’s to day one!


No comments:

Post a Comment