Thursday, June 30, 2016

Goodbye, dear Scotland!

Needless to say, I'm going to miss my dear Scotland. Something about the rolling green hills, the cathedrals and architecture, and yes, the lovely people, make me want to stay a wee bit longer. On Wednesday morning, I managed to catch a train to Edinburgh and walk up the Royal Mile to the Edinburgh Castle. It's a magnificent place, bustling with tourists like me. Though I tried to appear normal as much as possible, I can't help but fall in love with everything about this city.

Someday in America, we should have Telephone booths like this. Just saying.




We went there with two other girls that attend the Church in Alloa - Alex and Jessica. 

My family hails from the MacFarlane clan whose motto is "This I'll Defend." It touches me deeply every time I think of all the positive connotations of this motto. I can't wait to meet my ancestors some day.


Looking up the Royal Mile!

I thought this was adorable. Scotland is readily accessible to people like me because we're short and fit through tiny doorways.


Later on Tuesday afternoon, I made it back to my favourite town of Stirling! It brought back so many memories of pastry shops, Marks and Spencer's clothing store, and many times when my brother played his bagpipes outside the shops. Tourists were so impressed by an 11 year old boy playing the bagpipes that they would come and take their picture next to him. He probably earned 30-50 quid every day (that's slang for pounds).


This is a yum-yum. AKA a really good doughnut. I only managed to take two bites before I had a headache, but seeing as they were all out of my sister's favourite iced ginger's, I decided to go with the renowned Scottish yum-yum.

On Wednesday around 16:00, Mandy (my family friend who is letting me stay with her and her husband) took me and another friend to the LDS Preston, England Temple. It was a beautiful 3.5 hour drive, and I was so happy to go!




Lana Graydon was my youth leader while I lived in Scotland, and I was so glad to see her! I also saw Sarah Black while I was at church last Sunday, and I was reminded of so many fun times we had together as young women in Alloa. Words are never enough to express thanks to people who change your life forever. 

I love you, Sarah!

Left to right: Me, Mandy, Julie, Lana going out to grab a bite to eat just after we had arrived in Preston.

Meet Julie, such a wonderful and kindred spirit. She truly exemplifies everything that has to do with finding joy in the journey of life!

This is the Preston, England temple. What a wonderful place to spend the day! I truly love to see the temple, but I love to be inside even more. I'm so grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - it blesses my life every day!

Getting ready to head back to Alloa!
I dearly love Utah, but oh how I adore my Scotland. Who knows, maybe someday I'll be back. I'm off to Paris in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment